Sunday, January 5, 2020

This is my somewhere

It's the start of a new year and of a new decade. It seems like a good time to try something new, something that I have thought about for a long time, something that is a little outside my comfort zone and something that feels a little like a school project.  This is my blog and it's all of those things.

First thanks for taking the time to visit. Perhaps you have been following me on Instagram where you have discovered that I like to sew by hand, make bags on my machine, knit socks, or travel the world.  If so you know that SewGolly is my Instagram name.  Perhaps you have wondered the origin of that name. It is a combination of several ideas all with personal connections.  My dad used to call me "George". One of his favourite expressions was to say "Golly Gingos".  I often call myself "Gilly". I like to sew.  SewGeorge didn't sound right and I didn't want people calling me Gilly but Golly made me think of my dad and it was similar to my name so it was chosen.  SewGolly had a nice ring. I liked it. Most importantly it could be whatever I made it. That's like this blog; it's going to be what I make it.






Expect to see my stitching whether by hand or by machine, with thread or wool or maybe something else. These are my Mandolin EPP quilt blocks -- all hand sewn. 



Expect to see these two - Matthew and Kent. Definitely my best work.




Expect handknit socks and shawls and sweaters but mostly socks.




Expect to see my feet, sometimes with others, in lots of different places.  These feet (mine and K) are at the Tablelands, Newfoundland where the Earth's mantle is exposed.


 Expect to see fascinating images --teepee closure at Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump.


And expect to see water from wherever I may find it. In this photo, it's Bermuda.

Putting this together has been like a school project and I feel like one of the elementary school kids, whom I taught, in doing it.  As their teacher I would have told them, they had to start somewhere.  This is my somewhere.

6 comments:

  1. So happy to see you blogging! Your sewgolly insta is terrific, and now we'll get to see more of the fabulous creations, textile and human. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have been a good role model for doing this.

      Delete
  2. The start of something great for sure! now is as good a time as any and I’m glad you’re going forward with this, bravo! Looking forward to all the insight behind your work. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And you are my first follower -- yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on starting your new blog, I follow you on Instagram and I'm looking forward to following you here as well! Blogging is great because you get to share more of your creative process along with your photos, best of luck in your new journey ☘

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. I want this to be more about my creative process.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes we just expect too much of ourselves

Last year (was that really only last year?) Cheryl Arkison visited my quilt guild to teach some classes.  One of my take aways was her idea ...